Sunday 24 February 2013

DIY Speckle Polish With L'Oreal Confetti Top Coat

Recently I have been getting a little bored of the same old glitter polishes, and as much as I love them, have found myself looking for something different. I first saw the Illamasqua Imperfection range a while ago, and have been trying to convince myself that £14.50 is just too much to pay for one nail polish no matter how much it looks like Mini Eggs!
Pictures from Illamasqua website
Aren't they gorgeous? I decided rather than splashing out one one (the lilac obviously!) I would have a go at making my own version of the Speckle polish. 
I picked up this little beauty the other day, and love it! It looks gorgeous over any colour polish, I can see this being a favourite this month! It is a clear polish with different sized white and black pieces and tiny silver specks of glitter which really make it stand out.
I decided to use the Glitter Sandwich method to try to get the speckle effect (one polish coat, one glitter coat, one polish coat). I used Barry M Gelly in Prickly Pear for the base as it was the closest colour I had to the Speckle base.
This was the effect I got. I actually ended up re-writing this post as last night when I painted my nails I wasn't  too happy with it, but seeing it in daylight today, I love it! It really does look gorgeous and you can see a similar effect to the Imperfections, although the black doesn't stand out as much as you can't get any bits to sit on top. It looks better on some nails that others, you need a really thin coat of polish over the top so the confetti isn't covered, but it is hard to get it thin enough! 

Has anyone else tried the confetti polish? I hope there are more to come like it! I'm sure I'm not the only one lusting after the Imperfections collection too, has anyone tried it? Are they worth the money?


6 comments:

  1. I think I like your version better! I agree they are gorgeous, but too expensive for a polish I know I won't wear that often. I must pick up this L'Oreal it's like China Glaze Whirled Away but good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean I always think with any polishes that have an effect or texture I'll only use them a few times but I can use the Confetti over lots of different things. I like the white in it too rather than it being all black. It does look similar but nicer for having smaller pieces in it so you get better coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite like the look of these and that is a lovely shade too xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it has really grown on me, I'm loving the look of it and I'm going to try a few different polishes as bases when I get more time, see which comes out best

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made a good Illamasqua dupe there! I'm going to steal your idea and try it out :)

    http://roxysboxoftricks.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea!!

    Thanks for stopping by The Wednesday Chronicles! Hope to see you this week!

    xo

    Ange from Hairspray and High Heels

    ReplyDelete